History of our Church

Grace Baptist Church, now New Beginnings Community Church of Ambler, began as a result of missionary zeal on the part of a group of believers attending Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church of Ambler in the early 1950s. The Second World War engendered new missionary vision and gave birth to the Conservative Baptist Missionary Society based in Chicago. Because of the purity of their gospel message, the group asked to contribute their missionary offerings that direction if they desired. The request was voted down at a special meeting.

On May 19, 1952, approximately thirty-five people met. Dr. Ivan Neprash, a visiting well-known professor, met with them and encouraged them to go forward and begin a new congregation. Thus Grace Baptist Church was born.

For two and a half years the congregation met at the McCann Community Building in Ambler, calling Rev. Burton Murdock as their first pastor. Under his leadership, property at Penn-Ambler and Hoover Roads in Ambler was purchased. The cornerstone of the new church was laid Easter morning, April 18, 1954.

After approximately eight years and rapid growth a new addition was added, establishing the present building in 1965. Both the older building and new one have maintained good use over the years, by renting the older building to active growing congregations.

Observing the changing times and new needs in the community, the church was inspired to change its name to New Beginnings Community Church, maintaining its same beliefs and Baptist tradition. A new attending motto "Reaching, Teaching, Building and Sending" was also adopted to inspire the believers.

Through the years we remain, as in the beginning, a force for good to reach a needy community with the saving gospel of Jesus Christ.